Sunday, December 18, 2005

Private Security Services or Gangsterism Incorporated ?

I live in a working class neighborhood in USJ, Selangor Malaysia since 1993. It is a very peaceful and friendly neighborhood with mixed racial compositions. Most of the residents here are fairly well educated and law abiding citizens. For the past 10 years or so, I have hardly seen any uniformed police patrolling in this neighborhood, because it is a very safe neighborhood. Of course, on and off, there are some small incidents of isolated break-ins and some petty crimes, but relatively speaking, the neighborhood is still relatively peaceful and safe.
About 2 weeks ago, a group of Indian youths approached every house in this peaceful neighborhood to collect “monthly security fees”. The psychology employed by these youth is every simple - “ We know where you live. If you don't pay us. You may have security problems”. While washing my car in he car porch. I was approached by 2 Indian youths telling me that they are “authorized” to collect “security fees”. They also claimed that “their company” is authorized by the local police station and the “Jawatankuasa Penduduk” ( resident committee ). I politely informed them that there is no Jawatankuasa Penduduk in my neighborhood, and that I need to verify with the local police station first before making payment. The two Indian youth left, but 10 minutes later, four Indian youths on motorcycles came and park their motorcycles in front of my house with the engines running and at the same time shouting Indian languages at each others. I believed they are trying to intimidate me into paying. As far as I am concerned, these Indian youths are probably gangsters trying to establish territorial control. I was left with no choice but to politely asked them to leave and threatened them that I will contact the police station as their actions are disturbing the peace of the neighborhood
The left reluctantly. But before they left, one of the Indian youth told me that if I don't pay, I may have masalah keselamatan ( security problems). These Indian youths actions remind me of old die hard gangster who go around collecting “protection monies”. But what disturbed me is, these Indian youths are now one class above the rest, they incorporated a company, and go around the neighborhood issuing “receipts” and put up marking on your front gate for “security fees” collected.
The next day, I contacted the Jawatankuasa Penduduk of the local town council ( the MPSJ ) regarding the incident. I was advised by one of the officer not to make any payment to these Indian youths. I guess, maybe his fear is, if everybody start paying, other gangsters may also imitate to incorporate a company to start collecting “security fees”.
Since that day, the Indian youths has been coming around after mid night daily on their motorcycles riding pass the front and back of my house and intentionally step on the accelerator to generate loud noises to disturb the quietness of the night. As far as I am concerned, petroleum is pretty expensive nowadays, it doesn't really hurt me if these idiots want to burn holes in their pockets. Or perhaps, they are trying to irritate me for standing up and say “NO” to them. But whatever it is, I have this little message to them - “ YOU CAN GO TO HELL !”
To these Indian youth, I still have confident in the local police to safeguard and protect the peace and security of my neighborhoods. Indirect gangster's strategy is not going to work. For the sake of peaceful co-habitation, please go look for another job or another business to do. It is people like you wanting to live like a parasite, are making the society sick. My advise is, no matter how much your attempts to legitimize a morally illegitimate business, at the end of the day, it is still an illegitimate business. By perpetuating your intimidations and harassment, you will have to live with your guilts for the rest of your life.
Hmmm...I love sipping coffee and at the same time enjoying the acrobatic and dramatically eloquent shows put up by these Indian youths. Perhaps, they are send by GOD to entertain me in my otherwise very dull and boring life ! Thank you very much for the shows.

No comments: