Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Merdeka Talkies - Pokok Assam's Village Cinema


Merdeka Talkies - The Pokok Assam Village Cinema.
This wooden structured building was probably built right after Malaysia obtained her independent from British Administration in 1957. As a young boy during the early seventies, I used to patron this place with my brothers and sisters to watch movies and stage shows. An entrance ticket cost 40 sens per adults. We used to share ONE adult ticket for 2 kids. This picture was taken in 30th Jan 2006. I felt very sad to see this former cinema being turned into a rundown eating place. To me, the Merdeka Talkies should be preserved as one of the historical building in the young history of Pokok Assam Village. Perhaps, the local town council should acquire this building, refurbish, and convert it into a multi-purpose community centre to serve the village folks of Pokok Assam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I googled "Pokok Assam" and found this blog. :)

My old house was a stone-throw away from the cinema - Jalan Gurdit Singh. :)

Didn't get a chance to watch a movie at this cinema, but my parents had fond memories of going there. I think it was a prime dating spot for them (apart from the garden next to the Pasar).