Saturday, July 19, 2008

Moving on ?

The week that was has been eventful and tiring. Work wise, the environment in the office has been a source of constant irritants. I had been planning to change the office business model in anticipation of handover in early 2009. I figured, the best way for me to exit is to reposition the company, simplify process, and evolve a new business model. In the process of doing so, it caused some instability among personnel. I am amazed that for such a small office, there are so much politics. I guess, in any office, at times, different priority and different expectation do give rise to unhealthy office politics.

Over the past one month or so, I had a staff who has been taking half day leave to attend job interview elsewhere. As a management personnel, I believe it is the rights of the staff to seek job elsewhere to upgrade his career. As the Chinese saying goes, it is better for me to “close one eye”, and approve whatever leave the staff need, to attend whatever job interview he can secured. I even gave good references to that particular staff. I honestly believed the particular staff is incapable to be trained due to his limited technical skills, lack of initiative, and indiscipline. I just do not want to waste my my time with him because I do not think he can fit into the new business model. I figured, it is better for me to invest in new people than to cultivate tolerance to problem personnel.

In “closing one eye”, I regretted that I had indirectly contributed to the negative working environment in the office. The particular personnel developed the arrogance of insubordination thinking that he is indispensable to the company. He even approach my administration department to open brag about his job interview and impose himself to demand salary increment. Stupid fella barking at the wrong wall to seek salary increment, and in the process, created unneccessary animosity for himself. As far as I am concerned, I will only adjust compensation package based on performance evaluation and direct frank discussions. For the time being, I am in no mood to award uncommitted personnel. And definitely, I am in no mood to retain people who I believe no longer fit into my new business plan. I had been in this industry for so many years, I am definitely confident to believe that nobody is indispensable. So, I call the personnel up to have a friendly discussion to seek his agreement to resign. Because, I honestly believed it would be much better off for him to move on his career with other organization. Not a bad discussion after all, a win – win situation, he agreed to resign, and I have one less hindrance in my new business plan.

Like I said before, I am a salmon on reverse journey. I just want to make my simpler and easier. I had made up my mind to handover the company in 2009, I will do the necessary to make my exit easier, whoever stand in my way will be subtly removed – without stress, without fear, and definitely without tears.

Looking at things as it is, I guess I am way out of schedule, but I will manage and adapt to move on. I will take on the problem one day at a time, whatever will be, will be.

Now less digress a bit, I received a cute email on Saturday morning from a friend. Well, the content of the email does bring me back to my senses of humanity. Here goes the content of the email :

I will be there.

If one day you feel like crying,
Call me.

I don't promise that I will make you laugh,
But I can cry with you

If one day you want to run away--
Don't be afraid to call me.
I don't promise to ask you to stop...
But I can run with you

If one day you don't want to listen to anyone...
Call me.
I promise to be there for you.
And I promise to be very quiet.

But if one day you call...
And there is no answer...
Come fast to see me.
Perhaps I need you.


Namo Amithaba Buddha, Good NiteZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.......

No comments: