Wednesday, January 04, 2006

From Malacca to Kuching - Foods & more foods

During the Christmas weekend, I drove down to Malacca with my family and rented a 2 bedroom apartment at Century Makhota. The objective is not so much of a sight seeing trip, but to pack in as much Malacca favorite foods into my stomach - as much as possible. Worth mentioning is the Ikan Bakar at Umbai, a small restaurant at the riverside, there are lots of varsities of fresh seafood at the counter, prawn, stingray, squibs, fished, lala, etc. You tell the the waiter how you want it to be prepared, they grilled and served it to you they way you like it together with small packet of Nasi lemak wrapped in banana leaf. The price was extremely reasonable – 2 reasonable size stingray, half kg of squibs, a medium size fish, 1 Kg of Lala, many packets of nasi lemak, and 5 fresh coconuts only cost RM 48.00!!! Other local dishes worth mentioning is the Hainanese Chicken served with rice balls and the Cendul at Jonker streets. It was a really enjoyable weekend trip to Malacca.... Thank you very much to my good friend, Eng Pow, for acting as my official tourist guide during my habitual annual Christmas foods pilgrimage to Malacca.

After a few days rest in Subang Jaya, I took a flight to Sarawak for the New Year's Eve weekend. This was my second trip to Kuching, the previous trip was probably 12 years ago. Kuching probably has more varieties of local dishes than Malacca. Some of the local dishes I like best are Kolo Mee, Sarawak Laksa, Rojak, kueh chap, etc. Wanted to try the foochow meesua and the taiwanese beef noodle, but never really have the opportunity. Stomach was really packed and pampered with too much local delights. Probably I will try it during my next trip!!

While in Kuching, I tried three different varieties of Kolo mee. They are all very good ! You really have to taste the kolo mee in Kuching to appreciate the authentic taste. Hmmm... yummy yummy. The Sarawak Laksa was also very good, it taste like the famous Ipoh curry mee except that in Kuching, the laksa is served with meehoon and less spicy. The Kueh Chap has its unique taste with Kueh Teow in black colour soup serve with spare parts ( stewed intestine, liver, stomach, etc. ). I am not particularly fancy the spare parts but I do like the unique taste of the soup.

Thank you very much to YB Datu Vasco and his 2 lovely daughters for taking us around Kuching town and helping us to discover the wonderful local delights of Sarawak.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you liked kuching. :*) I miss the food too.

agnes said...

hello, i am agnes. read ya blog . . .COOL.
Century Mahkota, i love the swimming pools. Did you try the satay loklok .... delicious ....
My parents are from Kuching, haven't visited that meow place for a long time. Yeah the konlou mee .... yummy max. Whenever my mom goes back to kuching, she will tapau like 20-30packs so we could sapu like crazy .... ah ....miss the konlou mee .....

Happy Chinese New Year!