Friday, November 02, 2007

A moment to reflect

Age must be catching up on me. Of late, my mind has been involuntarily and unconsciously drifted into the past trying to connect present events to past happenings. These has happened too often. My wife called it day dreaming, and as a positive person, I called it reflections of life. Or am I slowly drifting into senility ? Could this be part and parcel of human's journey, where, when you grow older, you tend to make sense of the growing urges of spiritual belongings ? In search of truth in life ?

Somehow, strangely, I am beginning to have a liking to listen to FM radio. And equally surprising, I am also beginning to like the late Teresa Teng's song and all those so called golden oldies. And habitually, I had acquired the liking for flipping through those those old photographs, allowing them to flicker my memories. Those old photographs remind me of the various stages of my journey in Life; graduation from the university, my marriage, birth of my children, birthday celebrations, and holidays.

When I was young, my dad used to tell me, to be successful in life, I must have dreams, and lots of dreams. But on the practical side, in order to have a dream, I must go to sleep first. So, as a result, I end up having many good night sleeps. Well, I guess as I grow older, time is also running short. There are no point having too many dreams and ending up accomplishing nothing significant. I will have to stay awake now to make do with what I have, and live life to the fullest. In the mean time, I always believe, whatever I am destined to be, this journey of life will lead me there. If something is meant to be, it will be.

All those years of overjealously protecting my children's growing up and the desires to see them becoming independent has bear results. My children are now fiercely independent, but I am now living like a commander with no soldiers to take my instructions. A commander who overcame most of life challenges and pitfalls, now must graciously adapt into a new role and the transition into another phase of life as an observer rather than the driver.

Whether I like it or not, at the end of the day, life will always be a lesson imperfectly learned. Life by itself, is not intended to be a journey of gliding safely to the grave in a pristine and well-preserved body. It is a roller coaster ride ! I would love to be able to shout out “ Wow, what a ride !” before I let go off my last breath.

Ah... another lunch time's incoherent ranting ! Whatever it is, I do wish all of you a good day ahead.........

No comments: