Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Blasphemous Teddy Bear

It probably seemed like the most innocent of ideas to the newly arrived teacher from England, still settling into life in the Sudanese capital Khartoum. She asked her class of six and seven-year-olds to dress up and name a teddy bear, and keep a diary of his outings. She hoped it would provide material for projects for the rest of the year. And it might have, except for the name the children chose for their bear: Xxxxxxxx.

Now Gillian Gibbons, 54, is spending her second night in a Sudanese prison, accused of insulting Xxxxx's Prophet. She faces a public lashing or up to six months in prison if found guilty on charges of blasphemy.

For further details, read HERE

Well, what else can I say ? I roll my eyes, hit my forehead, and I shake my head....

No comments: