Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The road less travelled

When I first graduated in the 80's with an undergraduate degree, I though I would be having a easy and relax career. With my basic paper qualifications, I have no problem getting a job in the local IT industry. During those early years, the IT industry is a “glamorous” industry. People tends to gave you a nice perception of your super qualifications and your perceived ability to handle the miracle machine called computer. But, behind all those nice perceptions, it is hardwork all the way..... I started work at 9:00am and finished work way past 12:00 mid night, almost 6 days a week, with Sunday worrying about how to resolve problems for coming weeks. They said, this is part of professional commitment to the work. Somehow, many years down the road, I began to realize that I need to break this monotonous cycle of work habits, otherwise I would end up dying young. True enough, I suffered from major work related stress at the age of 32. By that time, I already started a family with a young son.

I resigned from my job, took a few months break to ponder my next course of direction. During those short break, I was head hunted and received many job offers of senior managerial position. Sad to acknowledge that, as much as I enjoy working for people, although my mind is willing, but my heart is not there to take on another challenge. I realized that, as much as I want to have a successful career, it is equally important that I keep myself holistic for my family.

I took the road less travelled, I invested all my savings to start a business on my own. It was not easy to start and maintain the business, but I have the privilege and comfort to decide the pace of workflow. I have a simple philosophy of maintaining an ethical margin and not to overload ourselves with unnecessary sales quota. I decided that, by 5:30PM everyday, everybody must go home to be with the family. I prohibit unhealthy entertainment such as entertaining the customers at night clubs or pubs. I honestly believe in right living, and that only incompetent people resort to get themselves and others influenced by alcohol to secure business. To me, business secured in this manner is an unacceptable form of livelihood. I even closed down a profitable associate company when I realized that the business practices infringed my basic principle of morality. As far as I am concern, I do not need to subject myself to unethical practices to secure short term benefits. Over the past 15 years, although we did had our fair share of ups and downs, but overall speaking, we had sufficient business to keep the business going, and gain respectable recognitions from our customers. Looking back, putting aside some bad experiences and betrayals from some dishonest people, life for us, have been good. I am looking forward to my early retirement in 2 years times. Hopefully, the good angels can grant me a healthy body for the rest of my life to enjoy the fruits of my labour.

In life, I do sincerely believe that everything happened for a reason. It is our purpose of life to live through those reasons. Good or bad, this are all part and parcel of the reflections of karma from our previous life. What matter most is, we have to adapt to this life as practical and as ethical as possible to the resulting vipakka to generate good karma for our next life.

There will come a time in our journey called life where the single road shall diverge into multiple directions, but, as a traveller of life, we can only pick one route. The roads we took may be less travelled by others, but all roads lead to the truth of our being. Whether we like it or not, consciously or unconsciously, we are basically living our daily life in search of truth and our purpose of life. I do honestly believed, when confronted with the need to make a choice, one should never hesitates to make a decision. By courageously and ethically accepting and embracing our own decision, the truth is out there for us to confront uncertainties. And we, by our own doing, shall be able to stamp our mark and made the difference for others to follow.

We are what we are because we are destined to take the road less travelled and to lead a life less ordinary. In the process of living life, let us all enjoy the experiences and live life to he best of our abilities. Life is a many splendoured thing, now, dare yourself to go out there to love and be loved, to change and be changed, to make a difference, and let the party begins........

No comments: