Friday, December 02, 2005

As I look Back (3) - University Of Guelph


I came to University Of Guelph in the Fall of 1980 at the age of 20 years old, about my son age now. I graduated in 1983 from the College of Physical Science with a degree in Computing & Information Science and Business Administration. If my memory served me right, the Prime Minister during that time was Pierre Trudeux, Bronco Billy just won the presidency of USA, and Gas (petrol) sometimes go as low as 4 cents per gallon! I remembered attending the Queen’s concert in CN Tower and came out dizzy with my body smell like marijuana. More than 20 years has passed, my recollections of places in Guelph is fadings..

I still remember the lush green lawn of the campus, probably more than 400 hectares large, the “rowdy” pubs in the campus, the old Scottish building architecture, the university centre, the arboretum, the computer labs where we used to punch card doing JCL, Cobol, etc… The academic population then was about 20,000.

I most appreciate the helpful professors and local Canadian students who go all out to help foreign students like me to adapt to the local surroundings. Canadians indeed are the most friendly and peaceful people in the world.

Overall, my three years spend in Guelph is the most memorial experience of my life time where I learn to be independent, managing my life away from home, and appreciate the diversities of cultural backgrounds. It is also in Guelph where I learn to appreciate simple food like donuts, muffin, pizza, bread with maple syrup, etc.. One thing worth mention here, Johnston Hall served the best barbeque ribs….

Needless to say, I went in to Guelph as a naïve young man but came out three years later equip with knowledge and confident, a sense of direction, and the motivation to confront uncertainties. Thank you very much, University Of Guelph.

Any University Of Guelph’s graduate out there in world ?

No comments: