Saturday, December 03, 2005

Racisms or Venting of Frustrations ?

I accept the fact that racism is the worst crime against humanity. As far as I am concerned, people who practices racisms, whether intentionally or untintentionally, in words, thoughts, and deeds are the most despicable maggots on earth. But before we point fingers, we must be able to have the courage to conduct self criticisms and see humanity as a whole with fair eyes.

I remembered, once upon a time, my office, which is predominantly consists of Malaysian of Chinese origin, are doing well. I decided to increase head counts, so potential candidates are called in, interviews and selections were conducted. The whole process was a very fair process. After all, we are only interested in hiring the most suitable candidate for the business. The end result is, We selected a young Malaysian of non-Chinese origin. To me race was never used as a selection criteria. What impressed me about this young man is, he is motivated, very optimistics, willing to take on the challenge, and he has the academic qualifications to back him up. So he was hired.

The first day this young man reported to work, my nighmare begins. Unknown to me, some of the existing personnel I have in the office started a “silent” protest. They are unhappy I hired a personnel of another racial origin. They start go slow in their work, reported to office late, badmouth the company at customers’ premise, and all nonsense you can think of, they did it ! A customer even call me up and angrily accused me of being anti-chinese! I am a Malaysian of Chinese origin, how can I be anti-Chinese ? After more than 6 months of antagonizing indecision trying to deal with these monsters, I decided to call up the 4 personnel and encouraged their voluntary resignation. Another fresh recruitments was conducted and new personnel recruited. Again, racial parameters was never used as a factor for hiring. After slightly more than 6 months, the company business are back to normal, and infact improved substantially.

The question I like to asked myself is, was racism at play here ? Am I a racist for not hiring a Chinese ? I don’t think also. I have done things in a very fair manner, and yet I was called a racist !

I read a lot, especially articles in the internet and opinion expressed in community forums. I encountered a community forum participated mainly by a few Malaysian Chinese, it is sad to note that, there are misguided opinions claiming that the non malay in this country are being discriminated, indirect insinuations and racial slurs expressed by the forumites to make fun and degrade the Malays. Is it fairs ? Every action attract a reaction. If you want to be treated fairly, you need to initiate the actions to give fair treatments to others also.

These small group of misguided individuals claimed that they are being discriminated. But at the same times, through their words, actions, thoughts, and deeds, they are also discriminating others. These are the people who made life difficult for all Malaysians. Their actions have indirectly tarnished the credibility of the majority of the Chinese in Malaysia. Frankly speaking, majority of the Malaysian Chinese are very hardworking people, the work 7 days a week, they never seek or expect government handouts, they are flexible, some even ventured outside malaysia and almost every corner of the world to seek better opportunities. They have sacrificed the most to bring Malaysia to economic prosperities and yet they have never uttered a word of complaints. It is very sad that there exists a small group of Chinese waiting idlely for opportunities and expected to be given VIP treatments, when things doesn’t work out on the favour, they eagerly shout racisms and discriminations to make known their frustrations. Eventually, I would not be surprised if they are marginalized.

It may be true that some Chinese in this country are discriminated. But those are isolated cases. It doesn’t means that all Malays are racists. And it definitely doen’t means that all Chinese are being discriminated in these country.

As a Malaysian, I would like to advise these small group of people that, sometimes, discriminations and racisms are actually in our own state of mind ! If we always felt that we are being discriminated, no amount of reasonable explanations is going to alter our state of minds. But in our eagerness to seek justice, we need to be fair to others. Asked ourself, what justice we are seeking ? and we are seeking justice for who ? But whatever we do, we must remember the social contract that was forged by our forefathers prior to independent more than 45 years ago. As Malaysian, we must honour that commitment for the sake of our future generations.

I want to state that I am not anti-Chinese nor am I pro Malay. I have rooted myself in Malaysia and accepted Malaysian way of life. I accept the shortcomings of the constitution of Malaysia. I know, in times to come, the constitutionalities shall improved. I am also grateful to Malaysia for giving me a place where I can relate to, which I call it HOME.

Honestly, through my years of working experiences, I have worked with many Malaysian Malays and other ethnic origins. Malaysian are the most friendly people, well mannered, and cooperative. I have only encountered small incidences of racisms, but those are isolated incidences. But then, if we understand the situation correctly, these racist incidences are actually perpectuated by a small group of misguided maggots. Why make it a big issues ?

For my stand and principle, sometimes, I have been ridiculed. I take it. I accept it. I move on with life. I believed I have made bigger sacrifices to the positive nationhood of Malaysian than these small group of of misguided souls fantasizing and shouting racisms and discriminations. Should I feel guilty ? No ! While I see a table full of delicious sea food dishes on the table, these small gourp of disruntled and misguided souls see only fish bones in left over foods in the garbage can. Of course, when you swallow bones, the naturally tendecy is, you will vomit blood ! Who can you blamed ?

For those pretender wanting to be hero of the community along racial lines. They are actually the worst racists and rebels without a cause. The late Tunku Abdul Rahman, the late Dr Tan Chee Koon, the Honourable Prime Ministr Abdullah Badawi, the honorable Lim Kit Sian, etc. These are the true Malaysians who had sacrificed for Malaysia. Let us emulate these true Malaysians. Let us give and take, let us all work together as Malaysians to make Malaysia a better place for the world.

Is there Racisms and Discriminations in Malaysia ? As a Malaysian, I would like to put forward to you that there are no discriminations in this country. Living in a multi-racial country like Malaysia do have occasional teething problems, but overall it is a peaceful country where the all races lived in harmony. We should all stop harping on isolated incidences and move forward. Let us all work harder and complaint less......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have my support bro. Can't agree with you more.

Dalai Baru ( CK ) said...

brother,

Don't take me too seriously.. I am just a grumpy oldman, but born with an olive branch in my heart... I am a good Malaysian.

If you want to support me, buy me some good Malaysian black coffee powder. I heard they say the Ah Wong Coffee powder from Kluang is also quite good.

Once I get intoxicated with coffee, I can also write a lot of nonsense !