Monday, August 20, 2007

Life 101

This morning, I received an unexpected long distant called from a “relative”. She called to confide her unhappiness over the ungratefulness and greediness of her ex-husband. I guess she is probably trying to seek support for her grievances. As far as I am concern, her relationships between her and her ex-husband is of no concern to me. As much as I empathize with her sad tales, but, as a matter of principle, I do not like to be deceived or to indulge in other people's private affairs. After listening for a while, I changed the subject, and asked about her career and other matters. Financially she is doing okay. Emotionally I am not sure. She is probably trying to fill the voids in her by doing cities hopping, and came back occasionally to see her daughter. I did told her that, the more she complain, the more unhappy she will become. It does not make any practical sense to still have emotional attachment to her ex-husband which she already legally severed relationship. I did advised her to make a clean break and start investing her times to find herself a more caring and responsible soulmate to move on with life.

In life, each and everyone of us had our fair share of experiences dealing with ungrateful people. These experiences, whether we like it or not, are unavoidable parts and parcels of life's journey. But how do you deal with ungrateful people ? Honestly, when it happened, I do felt momentarily sadness, but not unhappy or felt hurt. Because, deep down in me, when I extend my help or sacrifices to people, whether they are ungrateful or otherwise, I did it out of sincerity and love from my heart, without any conditions attached, and expect nothing in return. So, I never felt hurt by insincere and ungrateful people. I take it that whatever “misdeeds” that have been done on me are probably the seeds of my karma from my previous life. So, as a Buddhist, I accept whatever that have been hurled at me with gratitude and dignity, and try my best to do good in this life times. I count myself lucky in the sense that, somehow, the almighty always compensate my “losses” with even greater abundances.

Life is short and precious, so why waste your breaths and energies on ungrateful people ? Do you honestly believe that ungrateful people have any sense of guilts ? Ungrateful people will always do whatever that are necessary to conduct deceits and blamed others for their failures, that is their lifestyles. The best thing to do is to take every negative things that had been unfairly hurled against you with dignity, learn from the experiences, move on with life, and focus on whatever you are doing to achieve your life's mission and goals.

Ungrateful people live in a very fatalistic misconception of life, seek pities from others for their “misfortunes”, and will always attempt to run down people who help them to seek recognition of self worth and glories. Why allow yourself to be emotionally tangled with ungrateful people who seemed to think that you are their slave or owe them a living. Let the ungrateful people gratify their misdeed with their lies, tattle tales, sad stories, rumors, or whatever. There are always perverts out there willing to lend their ears to ungrateful people to cheer them on. Well, what can I say, some mothers do have them, and they do walked among us. But, looking at the positive side, these people are quite entertaining with their dramatic eloquence, and that's what makes life interesting.

Whatever actions ungrateful people attempt to orchestra against you are basically actions to gratify their non appreciation of ethics and morality, it will not hurt you. So, just let it be. Count your blessing that, at least, while you are still alive, you are graced with the opportunities to identify and eliminate one more ungrateful people from ever coming close to you again.

Let us face it, ungrateful people will never be satisfied by whatever helps you rendered to them, they will always expect more from you, always complained about not getting enough help, and live in a state of mental siege of unhappiness and greediness. It is within your power to protect yourself by just simply ignore their existence. The natural law of karma and vipakka basically states that, eventually, ungrateful people will be burdened with angers of their unsuccessful attempts to seek yours and other people's attention, their angers will turn into hatreds, and finally they are stressed out by their misplaced hatreds, because they always end up consumed by all the emotional burdens they initiated.

So, the next time if you have the funny unhappy feelings that you are betrayed by ungrateful people, do yourself a favour, please don't ever allow yourself to indulge in these unwelcome emotional baggages. Buddhism says, the attachment to negative emotional feelings is a sufferings, so discard them immediately, and move on with life.......

Om Namo Amithaba Buddha

No comments: