Tuesday, August 28, 2007

No One Is Safe

“ I was holding my daughter in my arms, talking to her and playing with her. As I was asking her what kind of jelly she wanted to buy, a bomb exploded behind us. I saw shrapnel rip through her body. My daughter was killed instantly … I saw another little girl in school uniform lying not far from my daughter. She was dead, too. How could they do this, planting a bomb in the market? What do they get from attacking innocent people? There was not a single soldier or police there when that bomb went off. The place was packed with children and parents after school, as always... I wanted to ask them, those who did this, to stop, please stop. “

---- Nit Jombadin, describing a May 28, 2007 bomb attack in a crowded market in Songkhla province’s Saba Yoi district that killed her two-year-old daughter ----

For further details, please read NO ONE IS SAFE - Insurgent Attacks on Civilians in Thailand’s Southern Border Provinces . “No One Is Safe” is a report compiled by Human Rights Watch ( www.hrw.org )

Honestly, as a Buddhist, I do felt very sad that innocent people are being targeted with culture of barbaric attacks and savagery. Repeatedly, some biased main stream media have projected the militants' high moral ground struggles and their never ending grievances. And so, with bloods on their hands, irresponsible and biased racists provide more indirect support to the militants, the illegitimate “struggles” goes on, and more innocent people are murdered. Already 2,463 innocent people have been violently murdered by the militants, how many more innocent lives must be lost before the militants' satiation and thirst for bloods can be satisfied. Please denounce violence and embrace peace. I do hope the international community and the Thai government can take more serious action to bring the criminals to justice and restore law and order in that troubled region of southern Thailand. Looking at the issues on humanistic point of view, I seriously doubt these militants have any morality and legitimacy to exist in our modern civil society.

I am skipping lunch today to pray for the souls of the victims. May the almighty bless the victims' souls. May the criminals' hardened hearts be softened by Almighty's grace to appreciate peace and love for humanity.

Om Mani Pedme Hum......

No comments: