Monday, June 18, 2007

Is God oxymoron ?

A friend of mine said to me that "God is oxymoron". With my limited vocabulary of English language, I am handicapped to have a better understanding of the terminology. A quick search of Internet gave me the following definitions from Ask.com - " A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist."

As a Buddhist, do I believe in the existence of God ? Honestly I do believe that the philosophy of Buddhism is compatible to acceptance of the existence of God. But I guess, it is our individual definition and understanding that gave rise to different perceptions. To me, God is a higher being and a centre of focus for all religions where prayers are addressed. In this regard, I am just like a child believing in the existence of Santa Claus riding in his energy saving vehicle traveling the world in split seconds. If it feel good, why not ?

How do I prove the existence of God ? Well, I am not enlightened with the knowledges yet to prove to others what I believe is right or otherwise. It is not my destiny yet to do this religious laundry. I will only know the truth of existence when I breath my last breath. For the time being, I just want to have the comfort feelings that, whatever I do, there is an almighty unseen, unexplainable, and illogical force guiding me on. I am basically a human guided by the law of attractions.

Looking back at my past behaviors, I think, I, as a human being, is an oxymoron, not God. I have not been precise in what I want to do, at times, I contradicted myself, and sometimes I am paradoxical in handling my daily affairs. So, I am an oxymoron ! I guess it is not fair for me to blame it on God for my lack of understanding and my inability to understand spirituality.

A simple question put forward by a friend, but it did made me realize my moronic and at times, illogical self. I guess I will have to be a bit more discipline in modifying behaviors to improve my remaining journey of life. I need to modify my behaviors from naively positive and optimistic to consciously competent.

To my friend, I got your message. Thank you so much for this little enlightenment. May God bless you. Ha... ha... ha...

Om Namo Amithaba Buddha.

1 comment:

KS Cheah said...

Hohohoho!!! Bro....I said, to refer to God metaphorically is an oxymoron. There is no metaphor for God per se. The sages throughout history have never wanted to "define" God; for to define God would be to restrict God. For much the same reason, Buddha never defined Nirvana.