Monday, January 08, 2007

Anti Toll Hike Protest at Sunway Pyramid.

I drove back from Ipoh to Subang Jaya on Sunday. As I approach the exit into Bandar Sunway, I saw an unusual large presence of policemen. Strange, I thought maybe there are some VIP visiting the area, and the policemen are there to beef up security arrangement. I never gave any further thoughts to this unusual sight and carry on with my drive. However, at the turning into Sunway Pyramid, I saw a large number, probably a few thousands of protesters carrying banners, large number of FRU ( anti protesters armed personnel ), and massive traffic jams in front of the shopping complex. Thinking that there maybe riots, and I am worry for the safety of my family members in the car, I make a U-turn to take a longer route home.

After reaching home safely, I made a few calls to my friends in the Bandar Sunway area, primarily out of concern for their safety and well beings. I was told that, there was a huge anti toll hike protest and demonstration in the area organized by PAS, Keadilan, and DAP. What a relief ! At least it is not a racial riot. Demonstration by opposition political parties are usually very peaceful. They ave done a great job in serving as a platform for Malaysians to voice out their frustrations on the never ending spiralling of costs of living.

Welcome to Visit Malaysia Year 2007. Please visit HERE to register your protest on TOLL HIKE.

Come to think of it, the toll charges are getting ridiculous unaffordable nowadays. For example, the rate at the Kesas highway was hike up by almost 50% and the rate at LDP was hiked up by almost 60%. This increased toll charges coupled with the recent hiked in petrol prices, and many spiralling costs of essential items, are causing hardships to average Malaysians.

In case you are not aware. Effective January 1st 2007, the government has increased toll charges up to 60%. Is average Malaysian affected by this toll hike ? You can safely bet your smelly ass that it is !Take the case of my teenage son who has to travel to college passing through the Kesas toll everyday, a return trip will cost him RM 110 a month, petrol costs RM 250, parking fee costs RM 75 per month, and installment of his second hand car costs RM 500. Bearing in mind that the the non subsidized tuition fees is RM 1,200 per month. That works out to be RM 2,135 per month minimum excluding other living allowances. Here I am talking about average Malaysians who can not afford to send their children oversea to study. And I happened to be one of them. Kan-lin-low-boo, What farking government is this ? A caring government that work with the people or more interested to ensure sinful profitability for large corporations ? Robbing the poor to enrich the already filthied rich ? Robbing Hoods or Hooded Robber ? Either way, we are screwed !

Surprisingly, none of the local newspapers reported the incident on today edition. Was there an intentional "blackout" of people voicing their grievances ? Most of the local papers are indirectly own by political parties and their printing licenses are subject to annual renewal. I guess the local paper are playing safe not to print anything that is not music to the ears of the government.

Hey, Mr Yang Berhormat, please come out from your ivory tower and power hallway, put your right palm on your left chest and feel your heart beats, can you feel the hardships of average Malaysians ? Can you smell the burning frustrations of average Malaysians ? Can you hear the voices of economic desperations of average Malaysians ? In your congested self denial minds, do you understand the plights of Malaysians.

Frankly, if you ask me whether the anti toll hike demonstrations is going to have any influence on the government, well, I can safely tell you that it won't ! They are quite capable of seeing without visualizing, hearing without listening, and touching without feeling. I do have my doubt whether they understand the sufferings of average Malaysians. I am beginning to wonder whether they are already out of touch with reality, politically too decadence, engaging in too much in racial politics, or too busy conducting rent seeking demands. However, I have already made up my mind on my electoral rights. Come 2008, they can raise whatever emotional racial issues they like to desperately justify their stay, and I shall vote accordingly to retire them.

No comments: