Monday, January 01, 2007

Good Morning 2007 !

This year I have decided to welcome 2007 in the comforts of my home with family members. It is past 3:00 A.M. now, I am still quite awake and my mind is still very alert. Did I have too much coffee and cigars just now ? I think I know what is troubling me. But whatever it is, 2007 is already here. Looking at the political and economic situations in the world of the previous few months, it looks like it is going to be another troubled 2007 ahead.

Making a wish list or resolutions for 2007 ? Forget it. I reviewed my 2006's list of resolutions, sigh, sigh, I have only achieved one or probably 2 items. So, for 2007, I am not going to belittle myself by making new resolutions. Let's just continue with the left over of the 2006's list.

Looking back the previous 12 months, one of the saddest event that completely drained my emotional energy is, the content of an email I received from an unknown sender in January 2006. The email came with a video clip as attachment. I opened the video clip and the visuals shocked me beyond descriptives of words. It changed my whole perceptions of the Palestinian, Lebanese, and the Iraqi in particulars and the Middle Eastern people in general. My past assumptions and perceptions of them are completely off tangent!

In the video clip, a group of Nepalese were blindfolded and forced to lying face down on the ground. At the background, religious music or verses are played. Suddenly, the hooded militants hold down the Nepalese, slit his throat, and beheaded the blindfolded Nepalese. The rest of the Nepalese were shot in the heads by the militants. There are shouts of loud noises of religious verses through out the clip. I must admit, in my whole life, this is the most shocking carnage and barbaric acts I ever seen. I deleted the email and its attachment, took the whole day off and went back home to pray for the souls of the murdered Nepalese.

Since that day, my perception of the Middle Eastern people changed drastically. I began to understand and empathize with the tough actions of Israel, America, Britain, and the rest of the civilized world towards some of these middle eastern countries. In a way, maybe this is how God serve justices on them on a daily basis.

The Nepalese are some of the poorest people on earth, they travelled thousands of miles to another country to earn a living and to feed their family, but end up being barbarically murdered. Until these days, those horrible graphic visuals of murders still haunt me. My mind is still tormented by the violent deaths of the poor Nepalese at the hand of the barbarians.

Come to think of it, 2006 is pretty much a year where religions are being used to justify political and criminal violences. Race issues are also being sensitized to justify for immoral rights to abuse human rights. What a freaking year ! And it look like 2007 will suffer the same fate. I know, most religions preached mercy, love, and forgiveness. But for a change, let's pray for damnations to these barbaric criminals and human rights abusers. Humanity has lunatically and animalistically lost all of its decencies. Will the world be a safer place in 2007 ? God (?, which one ) helps us !


No comments: