Monday, July 09, 2007

So, I want to be an artist ?

I started by first informal lesson in painting at a friend's studio this evening. My friend. an experience abstract painter gave me some hand-ons on various techniques. He also gave me some kind words of encouragement. I guess he does not want me to feel disappointed with my first piece of "art work". Nevertheless, I did enjoy the experience of momentary blankness of mind before the brush hit the canvas. It is a refreshing experience and mentally refreshing. I hope I can indulge in more "learning" sessions in the near future.

After finishing my first "abstract master piece", we adjourned to the nearby mamak store for drinks. The topic of discussions came to the average lifespan of various professions. I was told, on average, poets have shorter life span compared to novelists and non fiction writers. Interestingly, female poets are more likely to have even shorter lifespan and are also more likely to suffer from mental illness than others.

Why do poets die young ? Could it be because they do not have the emotional stability and are too entrenched in reflecting their dysfunctional life of pain, suffering, and emotional wounds that give rise to too much negative energies which eventually consumed their life ? I hate to say this, but some poems do turn my emotions upside down. How can a person live a longer life when he or she is always in a state of negativity and emotional pervertism ?

On the other hand, I was also told that, artists tends to live longer life compared to other professions. Looking at an artist at work, I do admire their immerse concentration of the present, contemplating experiences of the past, and when their work is done, they are always positively believed that their work will inspire the future with their signature masterpiece. Perhaps, artists' mind and body are always creatively works in unison, and when they work, their mind and body are always absorbed in a world of their own to derive pleasures and happiness.

Come to think of it, I think I better abandon the idea of indulging in writing poems or essays. Life is too good to have a short life span. Heaven is on earth, I want to be forever young and enjoy the pleasure of living life to the fullest. I think I better train myself to become an artist ! Maybe one of these day in a not so distant future, I will be authoritative enough in the art world to command the respect in whatever art form I produced. By then, maybe, I can have the luxury of spewing my own sperm onto the canvas, and let the art connoisseurs interpret my expressions of spirituality and immortalized my being.

Ars longa, vita brevis ? Whatever it is, I do hope, my body can be as tough as my mind to live life a little bit longer, and to allow my bilogical clock forever tickings...... For the time being, I shall indulge in my lessons of art to allow my so called creative mind nourish the well being of my physical body.

The attachement for desires to live longer is a suffering ? Om Namo Amithaba Buddha !!!!

No comments: