Sunday, July 01, 2007

Magni Nominis Umbra ?

I visited the King Edward VII Secondary School on June 30th 2007. The school was popularly known as KE7, and it used to be one of the premier school in Taiping for discipline, academic, and sports excellence. In 2008, the school will be celebrating its 125th year of establishment.

Picture speak thousand words, here are some photo taken during my visit to the school :

The school crest at the entrance gate is a sorry state of "dilapidated" condition, it gave me an impression that the school management was no longer interested in its image. It looks like the school is in need of rescue !






The main administrative building of the school was equally impressive as an eyesore. The building is in a worn off pussy pink colour, rather than the impressive bold red it once was. Perhaps, the school has suffered from the familiar MLC syndrome ( multi levels contracting job ) of appointing a main contractor, the main contractor appointing a subcontractor, the subcontractor appointing another sub-sub-contractor, and so on...... By the time the contract to repaint the building reach the actual painter, there is not enough money left to buy quality paints. We are taking outsourcing to a new height !

Committed to speak English ? I understand the school was once a premier English school in Taiping. Well, it remained WAS. Who is the "THE" anyway ? I spoke to a few students there in English language, most of them gave me an empty stare. No comprehendo with my Inglish language ?

There is an old signboard at the administrative building with the words "Greater than Before". Greater than Before ? Was it a practical joke ? I spend less than 15 minute in the school compound, and honestly, I felt nauseated. Maybe it would be more appropriate if the principal of the school change the wordings in the signboard to "Greater ? then Before !"

No offense intended, but I think the school management sucks !!!! Magni Nominis Umbra ? Under the shadows of the great name ? I guess the school management is sheltered under the wrong shadow !

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

when you trust the monkeys to keep the tiger den this is what you .....

KS Cheah said...

Bro, under the weight of a great history, few things can compare. But I too was shocked to see the condition of the school.

KS

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I don't know what triggers me this morning .. but the school song ... THE TIGER ROAR LOUD AND CHEERFUL .. MAGNI NOMINIS UMBRA ... suddenly came into my mind ... so i just surf the word and bingo! I came to this blog ... I was there from mid 1984 till mid 1985 ... though my time there was a short one I can still feel hear the roar ... My late Dad was and Edwardian somewhere in 1946, and my brother as well (1977 - 1988 ). Anyway after reading your notes ... I felt sad because the glory of being an Edwardian seems fading ... Is there any blog for the Edwardians?? If yes, sorry for my ignorance. Catch up more with you at a later time ...
- SJ

Anonymous said...

The official website of the old boys association is :

www.edwardians.com.my


Cheers