Sunday, December 17, 2006

Top 10 Best Books 2006

The last time I actually read a book was probably 5 years ago. The "search", "copy", "paste", and "link" functionalities of the browser and search engines pf internet had, in certain ways, disrupted my normal reading habits. I guess, in order to cultivate back my old habits, I do need to go out to the traditional book stores or second hand book stores to buy paperbacks. I also need to install back my bedside lamp, so that I can read some books before I dozed off to sleep. It would be a nice challenge if I can gather enough courage walk into the book stores again. Anyway, the followings are some recommended books, I hope I can pick up one or two of the selected titles from the local stores.

From The Times, UK :
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
Fatal Purity by Ruth Scurr
Occupational Hazards by Rory Stewart
The Long Tail by Chris Anderson
Black Swan Green by David Mitchell
The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud
England in Particular by Sue Clifford and Angela King
The Night Watch by Sarah Waters
The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky


From About.com :
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Splendor of Silence by Indu Sudaresen
Splendor of Silence by Indu Sundaresan
Heat by Bill Buford
One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson
When Madeline Was Young by Jane Hamilton
The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson
A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon
Digging to America by Anne Tyler


From New York Times :
ABSURDISTAN By Gary Shteyngart.
THE COLLECTED STORIES OF AMY HEMPEL by Scribner
THE EMPEROR'S CHILDREN By Claire Messud.
THE LAY OF THE LAND By Richard Ford. Alfred A. Knopf
SPECIAL TOPICS IN CALAMITY PHYSICS By Marisha Pessl.
FALLING THROUGH THE EARTH By Danielle Trussoni.
THE LOOMING TOWER by Lawrence Wright.
MAYFLOWER by Nathaniel Philbrick.
THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA by Michael Pollan.
THE PLACES IN BETWEEN by Rory Stewart.

No comments: